Saturday, October 10, 2020

Woodworking: Wood from a tree (green!)

This is recalling a project I started 2 years ago.

I was given 2 8' Red Oak logs by my father-in-law.  I'd been interest in starting something from a tree instead of getting milled lumber. 

I had been reading up about riving, splitting the log so I decided to try it.
Axes, wedges, a small sledge hammer and ear muffs make it easier than sawing.



I did try the chainsaw to slab it.  It definitely takes longer.  Riven wood is much stronger too.


I ended up making a bunch of slabs that are probably too thin.  When you rive, you should always split down the middle.  If you try to get a thin one off the edge the split tends to wander off.

I still have 1/2 a log.  I also have other species and shorter logs.

Next up are things I have made from the wood.





No comments:

Post a Comment