Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Is your laptop vertical?


 When I showed this picture to my coworkers, people noticed the laptop is vertical.  One of my office mates (my coworkers are remote) had a commercial stand for his laptop.  When we switched to work from home for covid, I made a copy.

The bottom is a 4x16 scrap of 3/4" pine.  More or less.

2 dowels and a knob
I was practicing turning spindles on the lathe from pine branches that fell in my backyard 2 years ago.  Pretend they're 1/2" ish dowels.



10" long sorta

Maybe the medium one is 10".  The short thing at the front was practicing making a knob.

They holes are 1" to 1-1/2" from the edge with a slight angle.  If your laptop doesn't fold flat, you'll need a flatter angle.  Your board will probably need to be wider than 4" too.

I've been reading about staked furniture (https://lostartpress.com/products/the-anarchists-design-book) and decided to try it here.  I drilled holes smaller than the dowels through the board.  Then I tapered the end of the dowel and reamed out the hole to match the taper.  Saw a slot in the end of the dowel, put the dowel in the hole.  Line the slot up so it's perpendicular to the grain of the board.  Put a wedge in the slot to lock it in.  You can see it above.

Or just drill a round hole that matches the dowel & glue it.  You could drill it slightly smaller and get a friction fit.  There isn't much weight involved.

Finally, there will be a bit of dowel sticking out because it's angled.  Cut that off so it's flush.

Action shot
Maybe this is a good view of the angle?  You can see the standing desk's adjustable legs sticking up too.




No comments:

Post a Comment