Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Furniture of necessity

My back has been hurting from all the sitting I do (I am a computer geek!)  I'm finding that standing doesn't hurt and it gets better until I sit.


So, someone suggested I get a standing desk.  I have some 2x4s...

The monitors should be about 20" higher.  The keyboard should be about 12" higher.  I have 2 monitors and a laptop taking up around 48".

I had some 2x4 that I previously cut in 1/2 and drilled holes in.  They're ~ 24" long.  I have a 2x8 that's longer than 55". 

I didn't take pictures of the process.  Last night I trimmed the 2x8 to be square.  I traced the end of my 2x4s (2x2s?) onto it.  Then I cut square holes into the 2x8 for them.  With bolts through the holes, I now have a platform to put my monitors on.  I can raise or lower it.

The end result

The legs need feet.  During my lunch break, I cut a 17" 2x4 in half and created a mortise in the centers for the legs.  I put a tenon on the end and drawbored a dowel to keep it tight.


Mortise & Tenon with dowel

Not bad for an hour's work!  I'll have to drill out the dowel to disassemble it.  No glue so I could use it right away.


The bolt to make it adjustable.

The square mortise is tight enough not to wiggle.  It's stable enough.  If I need more, I could put a stretcher between the legs.  Or even a rope. 

I had some filing boxes that are 12" high.  I just put the keyboard on it.  I use a trackball so that goes on too.  After 1/2 a day, I might want it shorter.

Eventually, I'll make a stool for it.  Maybe it'll be adjustable.  Maybe I'll just make it shorter & cut bits off it.


No comments:

Post a Comment