Saturday, January 23, 2021

Planes - Homemade and Modified

 Most of my planes are used.  

I have purchased some new ones: a Veritas small plow plane and a Lie Nielsen large router plane.  They have the benefit of over a hundred years of prior art.  They have small differences that make them function just as well and "feel" a bit better to use.


I've made planes too.  The 1st one I made is "The poor man's rebate plane" following Paul Seller's video.  It makes a rebate as well as the plow plane would IMO.  It's just limited to rebates. 

Rex Krueger has a video building one also. 



They both have videos to make a router plane as well.   I followed the Stumpy Nubs video to try it out.




The 3rd one I made  is a scrub plane.  It works fantastic!

It's a laminated plane from oak I rived.  The blade is from an old block plane with a heavy radius.  The cross pin is a 1/4" bolt.  The wedge is also oak.


The only real problem I have is that the blade pops out after using it for awhile. 

I think the problem is either the hardwood wedge or using a bolt instead of a wood pin ala Krenov planes.

I bought a cheap #4 from Harbor Freight & just radiused the blade.
It's easier to adjust than my wooden one.

The blade is junk & doesn't keep an edge.  I purchased a pack of 5 Calialstro blades for $30.  They tested well in James Wright's epic plane blade test.  They can't be worse.

It's not as fun as the wooden plane but I'm no longer interrupted to reassemble things.













No comments:

Post a Comment