Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beginnings - everything has one

I've been thinking about this for a bit.  I want to have a kind of a journal of the Garden.  Let's start with what happened previously......

This marks my 4th year gardening.  I started out with my wife & I digging holes in the lawn and sticking transplants from the garden center with some Miracle Grow Organic Soil in.   We had way too many plants in there.  We didn't even mow before we dug the holes.

I heard about mulching so I dumped the grass clippings around all the plants.

Whaddaya know?  It worked!  We got some veggies, we didn't have weeds that we needed to worry about and it wasn't that much work.  Some things produced, some things we thought we knew were wrong.  But we learned.

Watering was a pain.  The garden was a long ways from the faucet.  Lugging the hose out and putting it away when it was time to mow wasn't much fun.

I ran 100' of hose in the chain link fence on the perimeter of our yard out to the garden.  A soaker hose went in the garden.  Every day we "needed to water"  and hook up the hose.

For next year, we had some ideas and plans.  We had been thinking more about where our food came from and its quality.  Year 2 in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment